Talk:Main Page Archive 1
This is an archive of the Main Page discussion up to the end of 2010. The current discussion page is here
Archive 1 > Archive 2
- 1 New question
- 2 WIFI config MusicBox NT configuration
- 3 No Rako Port on the back of RoomBox NT
- 4 Problem (not quite) using the RoomBox NT software...
- 5 USB to Serial cable - supplier
- 6 Musicbox software
- 7 Sources - parameters / settings
- 8 RoomBox - new settings but no sounds...
- 9 Display pads - not switching on ...
- 10 Controlling zone without having a keypad
- 11 DisplayPad control & displays
- 12 When I select Sources from the tab it keeps crashing.
- 13 Imerge S2000 & Room Box 6
- 14 Sony ST-SE570 Ir Codes
- 15 RoomBox NT
- 16 Synchronising music titles
What is the maximum number of rooms that Living Control systems can do? Another person 16:46, 12 November 2010 (GMT) Test edit.
- RoomBoxNT systems can do up to 24 rooms using one RoomBoxNT and two 8-More expanders. Martin 16:07, 17 November 2010 (GMT)
Configuration and connection
- Basejump, if you put four tildes (~~~~) after your post it will automatically sign and date it for you.
- What product do you want help on? Martin 23:54, 24 November 2010 (GMT)
How do you activate / configure the RoomBox NT wireless? How are the 8 IR ports on the back of the box related to the Displaypad? - can you control more than one device through the same displaypad? Basejump 00:26, 25 November 2010 (GMT)
- The RoomBoxNT is, like all our systems, wired. With a MusicBoxNT you can control it via WiFi.
- For Ir port description and wiring see RoomboxNT rear panel connections. You can ask specific questions about that page on the associated discussion page, just click the 'discussion' tab at the top. Martin 15:44, 25 November 2010 (GMT)
What does "House number" on the RoomBox NT refer to?? - is there a manual for configuration / initial setup? Basejump 00:26, 25 November 2010 (GMT) (sorry for blank earlier post - got called away from laptop.)
- 'House number' is the Rako house number if you are integrating with Rako lighting control.
- For configuration see RoomBox NT PC configuration software you can ask specific questions on the discussion page. Martin 15:44, 25 November 2010 (GMT)
WIFI config MusicBox NT configuration
I am starting a page MusicBox settings. 11:55, 26 November 2010 (GMT)
If the MusicBox MB5-NT s/w v3.94 "network" settings page is configured to be "automatic" how can you tell if the wireless is activated? (and what is the URL or port number to access the Music/RoomBoxNTs?), or do you have to connect to the router via the ethernet port on the rear (ie does it _not_ have its own 'radio' built in)? Basejump 09:11, 26 November 2010 (GMT)
- You should have 'wired' and 'wireless' settings and an option to set the preferred connection method. 'Automatic' means DHCP, in which the MusicBox gets its IP address from the router.
- Some MB5-NT had built-in WiFi. Does your unit have an antenna socket? How recent is it?
My MB5-NT v3.94.1 shows serial no. 1229 - I cannot see an antenna socket on it, although there appears to be a rubber plug / blank above the VGA socket / to the right & above the ethernet port. - I have tried all the settings on the network/internet and there is no option for wired/wireless / preferred connection... - any suggestions would be welcomed. Basejump 17:11, 27 November 2010 (GMT)
- It looks as though you will need to connect by wire into an existing network. I am just going to check the internet settings for you. Martin 10:26, 2 December 2010 (GMT)
- I have added more detail to the MusicBox settings, which should show you how to set up the wired network connection. Let me know how you get on. Martin 11:16, 2 December 2010 (GMT)
No Rako Port on the back of RoomBox NT
I cannot see a Rako Port on the back of my RoomBox NT - it has the expansion port (like a mini SCSI port) but there is no socket on the back... how can I use it with Rako??? Box serial no. 1034 Basejump 17:05, 27 November 2010 (GMT)
- The Rako port was fitted quite recently, I do not know at what serial number it was added. If this is not fitted you can control Rako through one of the comm ports, you can set this in the config software under zone setup. Martin 09:38, 30 November 2010 (GMT)
Problem (not quite) using the RoomBox NT software...
Having downloaded and installed the software, when I try to access preferences it asks for a password - for anyone who doesn't know it the standard password is "password" :) ... luckily I found it in an old Room6 manual... :)
The screen repeatedly says that 'menu is disabled' - flashes in top left of screen... How do you enable the menu?? (when I click on the bottom is says I am in dealer mode) - but the menu items have not changed? what does the 'disabled' menu let you do that you cant do otherwise? Basejump 21:19, 27 November 2010 (GMT)
Having entered the password, when I select zones I get 'out of memory exception' and program crashes... - tried reinstalling - same problem... any suggestions? Basejump 13:09, 28 November 2010 (GMT)
- Are you using the latest version? What operating system are you using? Martin 09:39, 30 November 2010 (GMT)
- The software is looking for the RoomBox, that is why it is flashing 'menu disabled'. Try putting it in demo mode. Martin 09:48, 30 November 2010 (GMT)
USB to Serial cable - supplier
Are there any recommended makes / models of USB-Serial adapter?
I've tried both Maplin and ABC Products (Amazon) (both seem to use the PL2303 driver) with Vista (and XP via Parallels on a Mac) without success... Obviously I don't want to buy too many of these things!! Can you suggest one which has worked for others in the past? Thanks!! Basejump 00:24, 29 November 2010 (GMT)
- You need an adapter that meets the proper RS232 voltage spec and implements the control lines properly. Martin 09:46, 30 November 2010 (GMT)
- I successfully used a Prolific Technologies adapter. Unfortunately I think they may be "white-labelled" - i.e. not sold under their own brand name. Since I got mine in Italy that won't help much. You can tell from the supplied driver software though, which does say Prolific.Musicant 14:54, 8 January 2011 (GMT)
can we edit title with the software
- Yes you can edit the titles Martin 14:08, 1 December 2010 (GMT)
Can I edit the styles?
- Yes, you can also edit these. Martin 14:52, 1 December 2010 (GMT)
Sources - parameters / settings
On the RoomBoxNT using the v1.3 software - how do you add more types of source - eg if your Tuner is not the type listed, or if you want to add a different tpye/description - eg Squeezebox as a source - the manual suggests there may be more but I cannot see where to access / add them? Thanks Basejump 14:58, 2 December 2010 (GMT)
- I have added a page on how to do this Creating_a_new_source_type Martin 11:07, 3 December 2010 (GMT)
- I think I may have inadvertently directed you to an old version of setup software I suggest you download and install the latest version from PC_configuration_software.
RoomBox - new settings but no sounds...
Is there a "cheatsheet" - button combination list somewhere for the front panel of the RoomBox NT?? I have found that there are 'Device listing' / 'Zone listing' etc and various symbols numbers displayed - how can I interpret them?? - what is the correct sequence for doing a setup using the panel buttons...??
I have used the NT v5.02 software (thanks!) to do my zone/source settings and done the 3 button press on the zone DisplayPads to match it all up, but although they seem to accept the selections (ie they reset after exiting setup) no sources are shown and they don't turn on (simply flash display brightly) and stay 'OFF' (also the time flashes irregularly) when the centre key is pressed.
I can get music out of Zone 1 using the MusicBox PC remote control software MB1.33 etc. so I know the RoomBox amp works (at least for Zone 1). I have connected three outputs from the MusicBox5 to the RoomBox - whilst before last use of the NT Titles software I could get music sometimes out of one output (No.2) to the test Zone using the MBox PC software, it won't do it any more... Using a monitor onto the video out of the MBox5 I can set music running to various zones from the various outputs of the Mbox and although the track timer shows it playing no sound comes out... - seems strange/illogical or even unstable. :(
Is there a limitation on how to set up the Sources/Zones? Can you configure all sources to play in all zones - eg can I configure all 3 outputs from the Mbox to be shown for all the zones?, or is it only possible for Output 1 to Zone 1 and Output 2 to Zone 2 and Output 3 to Zone 3 etc.???
Do the sources have to be set to be sequential or can you say have sources 1,2,3 and 6? or must it be 1,2,3,4??
I have also noticed that the RoomBox v5.02 NT Config/Titles software makes the RoomBox display "starting...." (or similar) when restarted and the config cable is attached and will 'hang' / wait until the cable is removed EVEN if the RoomBox software is not running on the PC ... ideally I would like to leave a PC attached to the RoomBox so that it can be remote accessed to make any changes etc without having to reach behind to attach the cable etc. - is this behaviour normal??
I seem so close but somehow I'm not quite there yet...
Any help appreciated! Basejump 01:02, 9 December 2010 (GMT)
- I will do a RoomBox NT front panel controls page. Most of this is diagnostics which you will not need.
- It may be that software version in your pads is wrong. What version is it?
- To check out the RoomBox NT it is probably best to use a simple source like a single CD player. You should have no trouble getting sound out of your unit that way. let me know how it goes.
- The is no limit on which sources play in which zones. All MusicBox outputs can be shown in all zones if you wish.
- Regarding config software, make sure you do 'disconnect' from the menu then you can leave the PC attached. You can always leave a serial lead attached for updating. Martin 13:24, 9 December 2010 (GMT)
Display pads - not switching on ...
I have successfully played /controlled music from MBox5-NT through use of the PC software client. Once music is playing the display pad will allow volume / track selection & control. I do not know how to activate the display pad to allow initial source / music selection from when no music is playing or the room is 'off' - how is this done? I have tried various key press combinations etc without success... does it have to be via a remote control?? (when music is playing remote control via a Sky+ remote works for vol/source etc)... Any suggestions please? Basejump 17:17, 14 December 2010 (GMT)
- Select 'Music' from the main menu. Press the centre button to enter this menu and then use left and right to view the items in it. Press the center button to when the display shows music. (You may not need this step depending on the way the pad was set up). Once you have selected 'Music' you will be in the music menu where you should see the names that you have given to your sources. By default the MusicBox outputs will be shown as 'Music 1', 'Music 2' etc. Select, say, 'Music1'. You will then see the first album on the music box, use the left and right keys to move through them and press the centre key to start the album playing. Martin Hogbin 20:34, 15 December 2010 (GMT)
Controlling zone without having a keypad
Can you use a zone without having a displaypad for it? I have several zones with speakers installed but no displaypad - can a zone be controlled by the displaypad of another zone? does a zone have to have a displaypad connected in order to work?? Basejump 18:00, 14 December 2010 (GMT)
- Pads cannot control other zones, except for the 'all off' function. You can control everything from the PC interface to the MusicBox. Martin Hogbin 20:37, 15 December 2010 (GMT)
DisplayPad control & displays
Is it possible to check correct functioning of the DisplayPad - config is Displaypad (NT?) with firmware showing SPD v1.2 on the initial screen after the 3-button press(after the 'wait' it flashes RB NT 2-v3.7) with SPD-1 V1.02.02 shown as version within the setup zone menu. These are being run with Music Box 5NT and RoomBox NT running server v.3.07 but when I exit setup from the keypad it says NT v3.7 some of the keypads flash the time when off but others show it steadily for no apparent reason, sometimes they all flash... Also it is impossible to activate the system from the Displaypads - ie you cannot select a source or start listening to anything by solely using the Displaypads. Is there any setting in the RoomBox or MusicBox which would make this happen?? However once a source / music has been selected for the room, it is possible to control the volume etc from the keypad... Before a source is playing the pad is 'dead' - pressing the centre button simply makes the pad light up momentarily but nothing else... what could cause this? Do all zones need to have speakers attached to the Roombox or any similar hardware requirement? Basejump 23:51, 19 December 2010 (GMT)
- Unfortunately you have an old version of firmware in your DisplayPads and this is not compatible with the firmware in the RoomBox NT. Martin Hogbin 00:23, 20 December 2010 (GMT)
When I select Sources from the tab it keeps crashing.
When i select edit sources the software just crashes I am running windows 7 ultimate.
- Download the latest version of the software from this wiki at PC configuration softwareand install this. Note that if you are running Windows 7 you will need to be logged in as an administrator. Martin Hogbin 13:22, 21 December 2010 (GMT)
Imerge S2000 & Room Box 6
I cant seem to get a S2000 working with the room box 6? I have upgraded from a MRS to room box 6.
- The last version to support the Imerge was V2.2, you will have to change to this, email me at email@example.com for details. Martin Hogbin 22:51, 21 December 2010 (GMT)
Sony ST-SE570 Ir Codes
I was wondering where I could find ir codes (presets) for the above tuner?
- I think they should be in the RoomBox and setup software. Martin Hogbin 22:35, 21 December 2010 (GMT)
Can I use the ordinary WaterPad with the RoomBox NT? Paul 13:11, 29 December 2010 (GMT)
- No, you need to use the WaterPad NT. Martin Hogbin 13:13, 29 December 2010 (GMT)
Synchronising music titles
I am trying to update the music titles on CDs downloaded on to a Music Box 3.53, and when trying to connect to IP address 192.168.0.123 it keeps failing. Is there a problem with your server? I have re-installed the software for Windows on the controlling PC
- Are you trying to update the titles manually using the PC client software or are you trying to connect to the FreeDb site for automatic titling? Martin Hogbin 11:07, 30 December 2010 (GMT)
I am trying to connect to the free database for automatic titling
- The correct settings for the FreeDb server are shown here MusicBox_settings#FreeDb_server. Martin Hogbin 14:56, 31 December 2010 (GMT)
The box is set correctly for musicdb.livingcontrol.com. I have restarted IP address and its synchronised so ok. Thanks JoeSteel 13:56, 31 December 2010 (GMT)